Wednesday, November 24, 2010

day fourteen: let me down

so it's been a while, but i promised myself i would do these things! so here we go again...

i've never really had a hero who really let me down... i don't even think i've really even had a hero. There's never really been someone who i so admired or adored that i wanted to be just like. so i'm trying to think of something else to write about, and i can only think of one thing that is even remotely similar.

finding out santa wasn't real.

now THAT was a major let down. however, it really shouldn't have been as big of a let down as it was. so my mom is just reminding me (since i was asking what age i was when i discovered the "santa scandal") that in fact prior to the santa incident, i found out about my mom being the tooth fairy. now i don't remember really discovering that truth ( i mean i always thought the fairy's handwriting looked a lot like mom's...) but apparently, i threw quite the little fit. saying how my parents had "betrayed" me, and "how could you lie to me like that?" and stating "i will NEVER do that to my kids!" yet somehow, the discovering of the fake fairy didn't translate over to christmas time. so seeing my parents setting up christmas under the tree was still very surprising and disappointing.

i was about ten. i couldn't sleep, went down for a glass of water, and low and behold "Santa" was just mom and dad staying up really late. i was shocked! then it all made sense... all of the little creatures and people that you don't see, ARE NOT REAL. that meant tooth fairy, leprechauns, easter bunny, AND santa.

man, the magic just ran right out of that holiday. and in all honesty, ever since, i haven't been able to muster up much excitement for christmas. don't get me wrong, i love all the festivities and things that go along with the holiday, but actual christams eve and day aren't all they're cracked up to be for me anymore. perhaps it'll be different when i have kids. it better be at any rate!


this is a surprised face i found, i'm sure it is very similar to mine after seeing my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment